Knucklehead: Tall Tales and Almost True Stories of Growing up Scieszka - Jon Scieszka

My daughter recommended this one, after reading some of it in school. When her favorite parts came up in the audio, she would jump in and say, "Oh, this is really good," so we would know to listen...

This was our first official audiobook of the summer season. We almost always love when an author reads his own work, and this one was no exception. As parents, my husband and I gasped a lot more than our daughters, thinking of how anyone goes about raising six boys, but the attempts their brave mother made to organize them were hilarious. She tried color-coding them and a few other ideas, until she finally went ahead and just numbered the backs of their sweatshirts. I thought some of the sections should have been prefaced with warnings (the warning came after), and I’m not so sure if I had imaginative boys I would want them to read this… because there were some awesome (if you’re a kid), and treacherous (if you’re a mom) things to do in this book. As an example, one idea included lighting a knotted dry-cleaning bag on fire, and then letting it drip onto their model airplanes. Good clean fun! In fact, having three older brothers myself, a lot of this seemed to come right out of my own childhood, so it was a nice stroll down memory lane. Plus, I finally learned how to pronounce his name correctly. The kids, well, they loved every naughty bit of it.