Virgin - Radhika Sanghani

When I started this book, I thought it would be a mature, light, chick-lit kind of book. I thought it would be honest and fun. So here’s the deal, it wasn’t mature, light or fun, or even (I don’t think) honest. I don’t even want to spend a lot of time on this so close to the end of the year; in a year when I read dozens of books so much better than this.

To be fair, it started out with what I thought was an engaging main character. She was interesting in her vulnerability, and had a terrific sense of humor. But after page upon page dwelling on the same one-dimensional topic, I realized that losing her virginity was the least of her problems. I thought I would relate to this main character, but I was brutally reminded that I am no longer 20-something, and I am not a person who shares the miniscule details of my life with the public at large. This was probably one of the most intimately-detailed, graphic books I’ve ever read about sex, and ironically, it was one of the most boring. I literally forced myself to finish it, only because I like to be fair in my reviews and consider the entire work. I kept hoping it would get better, but it never did. Because I read it on the kindle, I wasn’t sure how long it was. When I saw the page count was 304, I couldn’t believe it; it felt like a thousand.

So, if you are in your twenties, still a virgin, and looking for a very detailed self-help manual, have at this. For anyone else, you will get more satisfaction out of an issue of Cosmo, and you won't have wasted as much time as I did reading this book.