The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend - Katarina Bivald

You know what? This is a tough one. Apparently not everyone likes to read about reading, imagine that! I heard this book compared to many things, but I think Northern Exposure is pretty apt, because that, like Broken Wheel, Iowa, was a town filled with an odd lot of characters not especially known for their reading habits. Ok, there were a few exceptions, but still.

It’s summertime, so we need to suspend our disbelief and imagine that a young girl has traveled all the way from Sweden to meet her penpal on an extended vacation. Of course, they were brought together over their love of books. Doesn’t that just make you feel good, seeing the word penpal? I love the idea that this could still be a thing — take that, facebook — penpals rule!

Seriously, if this sounds ridiculous to you, by all means, don’t pick it up. But, if you traveled 600 miles with Harold Fry without a map or the right shoes; or were captivated by the letters of Juliet and the Potato Peel Pie Society, you will probably want to read this book. And you should. It is a sweet story, and it’s about books and all of the wonderful, odd, sincere people who love them. And even a bunch who don’t, but we won’t hold that against them, because to be honest, they make the story even better.