Dead Boy - Laurel Gale

Honestly, I don’t know where to begin with this one. I am catching up on reviews because I have been completely enjoying my summer, reading as much as possible and reviewing the books after they have settled in my brain a bit. After that, going back to write about some of them is like meeting an old friend for coffee — warm and comforting and joyful. That is how I feel about this book.

If you read the summary or the book jacket, you may be confused. So yes, I understand it is about a friendless dead boy who is somehow alive and also trying to reunite his divorcing parents, but that, truly, is the magic of books and the power of a well-told story. This is not a zombie story, though I have been known to enjoy those as well, but it is a moving, life-affirming tale, filled with adventures where loyalty, friendship and love are all tested. Really, you should not be reading my review; you should be reading this book. Oh, and, by the way, this book is really for middle-schoolers, but, if you are quiet and don't make a big deal about it, they may let you read it too.