Blood of the Lamb: A Novel of Secrets - Sam Cabot

This book was a guilty pleasure for me. It was not what I expected, until I went back, looked at the plot summary again, and realized, oh yeah, I should have expected this. So take a minute now and look at the plot summary somewhere – Goodreads, Amazon, etc.

Did you read it? Ok, so I can tell you that I thought it was like The Da Vinci Code, but with Vampires. Maybe I was more enthralled with it because I just got back from Italy, and it seemed to make my trip last that much longer. The search for a missing document was like a travelogue through Rome’s lesser-known places, with Vampire guides. I should probably admit that I loved the Da Vinci Code, way before it became sort of hip to hate it.

I don’t really consider myself a mystery fan, but I do like a book that has a puzzle as its theme. I will defend myself here (and warn you if you are a fan already); this is not Twilight. As my kids would say, there are no “kissing scenes” in this book. And everything I hated about Twilight (his skin was like “marble”, how romantic); was not to be found in this book. After all, about half of the characters in this book are members of the Catholic Church – priests, cardinals, etc. – so there wasn’t a lot of room for romance.  The tale revolves around academic art historians, so it takes about 350 pages for them to even realize they are a man and a woman, but alas, a priest and a vampire. Like I said, very mild on the romance, but it doesn’t need it.

I thought the story itself was very compelling. Honestly, I was so caught up in the search for the document, that, while I wanted to see what happened, I didn’t really want it to end. My husband read it before me, but he wasn’t giving anything away, even though there was a tiny bit of begging. Part of my wariness about finishing was the thought that it was going to all devolve into a cheesy sort of ending. I knew there was going to be drama about the identities of some vague characters, and I wasn’t sure I wanted to see the resolution. I was right to be wary. The end of the action was terrific, but the sort of epilogue where the authors wrapped things up was just weak. It was sort of like, “oh, yeah, (insert incredibly famous person’s name here) was a vampire too! Bet you didn’t see that coming!” And it didn’t stop, either. There were several vampires “outed”, and, to be honest, I think the Catholic Church, if they get ahold of this book, will probably hate it more than “Zealot”. But hey, at least this is billed as fiction. Plus, as I’ve mentioned before, I read banned books. You should too.  Read this one, and try not to worry about the ending – enjoy the rest while it lasts.