We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves: A Novel - Karen Joy Fowler

Really, I don’t know what to say about this one. I am beside myself. I am begging people to read it, so that I can have a conversation about it. There ought to be a hotline or something. As a fan of the quirky, I feel I have been almost out-quirky-ed with this one. Is that possible? Is that even a word? (no)

So, I can’t really say too much about the story. You know by now I hate to summarize the plots, because so many other places are better at that than me. But I don’t want to spoil this one for you, even though it is tempting. There are surprises here – not huge ones, but there are enough. There are strange characters. I didn’t like all of them, but I liked most of them, so I kept reading. I was not, for one minute, disappointed.

Don’t read too many reviews. Some people are not as kind as me, and they don’t even say “spoiler alert” before they tell you everything about it. I learned not to do this a long time ago, when someone mistakenly told me the ending of Anna Karenina before I was halfway through the story. Totally ruined it for me. To be fair, I was long past the age when most people read it I think, so she assumed I knew.

In any case, read this book. I have never read anything else by Karen Joy Fowler, but this is apparently unlike anything else she’s written, so it doesn’t matter. You will laugh, a lot. You may learn a lot more than you ever cared to about some disturbing topics, because Fowler did her research, and she wants to share. I looked up a lot of words, so “yay!” that it was on my kindle because it makes it easier than lugging my 10-pound Webster’s with me to the bathroom. Um, I mean, the couch. Whatever, wherever, just read it. Then talk to me about it…please?!