Aimless Love: New and Selected Poems - Billy Collins

I am not your typical poetry fan. My tastes usually tend toward Shel Silverstein or Dr. Seuss, but I can appreciate the occasional book of poems. I first picked up a book of Billy Collins’ poems at my sister-in-law’s house. I read most of the book during my visit, and I loved them all. I’m pretty sure this makes me a fan of Billy Collins, as opposed to poetry in general. I think I like him best because, for the most part, I feel as though I understand what he is trying to say. I must admit, I almost think that maybe he isn’t such a great poet if I get it, so every once in while, when he throws in a more esoteric one, I breath a sigh of relief and keep reading. After all, he was the poet laureate, so that has to mean something, right? In any case, one of my favorites in this compilation is one I originally heard him recite on youtube, at a gathering at the White House. Watch this, it is wonderful – The poem is called, “The Lanyard”. You will understand, when you hear him, that he is not a pretentious writer. He is just another person making his way through this world, and, thankfully for us, paying a lot more attention to everything as he goes along.

note: I got this book from netgalley as an ebook, but, honestly, reading it makes me want to go buy it in paperback or hardcover (or one of his other books), so I can thumb through it whenever I want.