Flatiron Books Winter 2015 Sampler - Tanya Byron, Paul Fischer, Mac McClelland, Robin Givhan

I realize I am a little late to the table on this one, but bear with me if you have not read these books. I stopped asking for samplers in the recent past, because I tend to read an excerpt, like the book, and order it. Then, time passes and my early onset Alzheimers (thank you Lisa Genova for teaching me that term, by the way) kicks in, and I think to myself, Wait, did I already read this? Not good.

So… full disclosure, I am pretty sure I picked this sampler from NetGalley because I loved the cover. Seriously, and it was a sampler, not even the real book. But to be fair, that flatiron building is awesome, and I am a sucker for an inviting illustration. This would be a terrific example of when judging a book by its cover actually paid off, because this quirky collection of non-fiction really delivered, with stories about PTSD, couture fashion, the making of a clinical psychologist and a dictator, and finally, a man who bought 420 pounds of beef to give his family a better life. Honestly, each one was better than the one before. I am not sure if I will read all the books, but I would recommend at the very least that you get the sampler and check them out for yourself. I found them all appealing, and certainly very different from one another. All were well written, piqued my interest in a variety of topics, and were oddly compelling.

At the top of my list, surprisingly to me, was Jared Stone’s The Year of the Cow. But maybe that’s just because I’m a Cowie, who knows.

Here is the list of books included in the collection:

Irritable Hearts: A PTSD Love Story, by Mac McClelland

The Battle of Versailles: The Night American Fashion Stumbled into the Spotlight and Made History, by Robin Givhan

A Kim Jong-Il Production: The Extraordinary True Story of a Kidnapped Filmmaker, His Star Actress, and a Young Dictator’s Rise to Power, by Paul Fischer

The Skeleton Cupboard: The Making of a Clinical Psychologist, by Tanya Byron

Year of the Cow: How 420 Pounds of Beef Built a Better Life for One American Family, by Jared Stone