Fangirl - Rainbow Rowell

If it weren’t for the fact that I have a family (two children who cannot apparently feed themselves or know when to shower), I would have finished this book in less than the day and a half it took me. Trust me, hiding in my house with a book for that much time is not easy. Sometimes, I have to hide in plain sight, like a sofa cushion, in a zen-like state. I received an ARC of this book from a Goodreads giveaway, and I must admit, the bright cover and the chunky book made me want to start reading it the second I opened the package. But I waited almost two whole days to start, (plus the time in between when I put the book on my “to-reads” list, and when I actually got it – weeks) but it was totally worth the wait. So yeah, considering all that, this book was just so much fun to read.

I am a little older than the kids in college now, who grew up with Harry Potter, but I know some of them personally and I think they would particularly love this book. (Read the book description if you don’t know what I mean.) I went to a large university with an Ag school, so all of the references about that experience were especially funny to me. I told my husband, “It was just like my school, only with cell phones and laptops.” You do not have to be a fan of fan fiction to appreciate this gem of a book. And you certainly don’t need to have read those ridiculous black and white books (she who shall not be named), from the queen of all fan fiction. In fact, I am pretty sure you have to be the opposite of that reader to enjoy this book, or at least I am hoping that. Because honestly, I loved this book so much that I jumped right on Goodreads and pretty much shamelessly begged Rainbow Rowell to be my friend. So yeah, Rainbow, you can relax, I am not a stalker, just a dork who loves to read. You don’t have to be my friend, but can you just please answer the only question my children have asked about your book? “Is Rainbow her real name?” They have no real knowledge of the 60s and 70s, or the Phoenix family for that matter, so it seems odd to them. Me, I like it.

I’m just wondering about the “twins whose mothers don’t love them” thing. This is the second book I’ve read this summer with that theme. (Sisterland) Is this something we need to be concerned about? Is it a new, depressing trend? Does Disney have something to do with it? Ah, so many unanswered questions. But, at the end of the day, there is no real question — you should definitely read this book!