Letters to a Young Writer: Some Practical and Philosophical Advice - Colum McCann

I can't believe it's been so long since I read this book, but I am behind on my reviews and yes, it's a new year, so I am trying to catch up. The lateness, however, has nothing to do with my love for this book; this was a highlight of the year for me.

I've enjoyed Colum McCann's novels, so when he wrote a book on writing, of course I wanted to read it. (And I wanted to enroll in his creative writing class at Hunter.) When I look at the book again now, I am kind of surprised I didn't highlight passages. So why didn't I highlight this one? It would have taken all of the pleasure out of reading, what with all that highlighting. There are so many inspiring words here, as evidenced by writers and non-writers alike who rave about this book.

I especially appreciated that McCann addresses older writers here as well, and that he credits a whole slew of others with his own writing education. If you are an aspiring writer, this is a book to treasure, and, something I say only rarely — one to read again and again.